Monday 18 January 2016

Valentine`s Day: Love And Flowers, Or Why Bother?

Like your birthday and New Year`s Eve, Valentine`s Day is another way of judging the state of your relationship. Some of you will get gooey cards and flowers. Some of you will get blank stares and this: ``Valentine`s Day? You`re kidding.``
- Marlene: ``I left my husband in mid-October 1989. I was 29 with two boys, 7 and 14. My options were somewhat limited as to where I could move, but the local gas-station owner had told me that if I ever needed a place, I could move in with him. I called him at work to see if the offer was still good.
``Sure enough, he said, `Come on over.` I had known him for two years, and he was always a good shoulder to lean on. I am a nurse and was just working on a fill-in basis and also taking a couple of courses at a nearby college.
``He took the kids and me in with open arms. He gave me money for school, for clothes, lunch and baby-sitters; and, of course, free gas. I cooked for him and cleaned as well as did laundry and ran errands. And I did my fair share of baby-sitting his two children from his previous marriage.
``We got along well. We would talk forever. But we never slept together. Then he came home on Valentine`s Day with a dozen roses, a box of candy and a diamond heart necklace. And he stood there smiling from ear to ear. Finally he said: `These are for you. Like it or not, I`m falling in love with you.` And he softly kissed my cheek.
``The passion was brewing. We were no longer just friends. We made love all night long, and exactly six weeks later, I was expecting our baby. Now, the baby has red hair, my Valentine`s Day reminder.``
- Liz: ``Larry and I were married nine years ago. But he insisted I get a baby-sitter for the Saturday night after the 14th so we could celebrate. First he presented me with a beautiful gold necklace. Then we had dinner at a charming restaurant known for its excellent food. When our waiter asked if we were going to the play at a nearby theater, I was surprised to hear my husband say that we would be.
``The entire evening we talked and held hands. We were not rushed or interrupted. It was like we were dating again, and I felt truly loved and very special. He`s not a very romantic man, but when he decides to show me how he feels, I get the message. Loud and clear.``
- Carla: ``The first year we were together, he sent me roses, which I don`t consider such a big deal. In fact, I think it really shows a lack of imagination. But what he wrote on the card was very special. He wrote: `This is the first time I ever had someone on Valentine`s Day I cared about.`
``Now we`re married and I don`t get anything for Valentine`s Day. I really don`t think my husband loves me less than he used to when we were dating. I just think he believes that now that we`re married, he doesn`t have to `bother` anymore. What a pity.``
- Diane: ``My fiance had been in the Army for 18 months and in Germany for over a year, and I never knew when he`d be able to call. But when I got to work on Valentine`s Day, within five minutes, he called. An hour and a half later, I received a dozen long-stemmed red roses. I was thrilled. I wasn`t even sure if he`d remember.
``Being in the field, it`s easy to lose track of time. I was so excited. This was the first time I had ever received flowers, let alone roses, from anyone other than my father. Even though Eddie wasn`t home, it was the best Valentine`s Day I ever had.``

No comments:

Post a Comment